This post briefly explains the different farm topologies in SharePoint 2010 and explains the roles involved in that topology. SharePoint 2010 can be deployed on single server or multiple servers. The roles involved in SharePoint 2010 farm are
· Web server role
· Application server role
· Database server role
In small farm typically these can be one server or two servers.
Web server role:
1. Web server typically hosts the web pages, web services and web parts to process the requests.
2. It passes the requests to appropriate application servers.
Application server role:
1. Application server roles are related to the services that are in SharePoint
2. Each application service can reside on a dedicated application server
3. Group the client-related services based on usage
Typical components in Application server
· Query component
· Crawl component
· Search administration
· User profile service
· Business Data connectivity
· Web Analytics
The services associated with the above components can be shared over multiple farms.
Typical services that associated with service applications in application server are
1. Excel Calculation service
2. Business Data Connectivity
3. SharePoint server search
4. Performance point service
5. User profile service
6. Web Analytics service
7. Visio graphics service
Database server role:
All databases can be deployed to single server in small farm. In large farms group the databases by roles and deploy them to multiple database servers.
Databases can be categorized as follows
· Search Database (Search admin db, property db and crawl db)
· Content Database
· Service Databases(Business Data connectivity, User Profile, Usage and health data collection and state service etc)
These databases can be shared across the farms depending size and usage.
We can categorize the server topologies as
1. Small farm topology
2. Medium farm topology
3. Large farm topology
Small farm topology example: small farm topology can serve users up to 20000 and can scale out based on how heavily the services are used. The following two are the variances in the topologies
|Web server with query component||
Web server with query component and all other service components
All SharePoint databases
Search databases\All other SharePoint databases
Medium farm topology example: The medium farm can scale for to serve approx 40 million items. Scale out is based on utilization of service applications and services within the farm.
Web servers you can increase the number of web servers based on number of users. Starting point 10,000 users per one web server.
Query and Crawl servers
All other application components and services
All other SharePoint databases
Large farm topology examples: In this topology we can group the service applications, services or databases with similar performance characteristics on to dedicated servers.
Web server group1
Web server group2
|web servers for incoming requests||web servers for crawling and administration|
Application server group1
Application server group2
|Crawl servers||Query servers|
Database server group1
Database server group2
|Search databases||Content databases|